Sunday, October 19, 2008

Well I'll Be (it's fair food, y'all!)

It is simply amazing to me that I've spent 34 years on this planet and have never been introduced to the wonders of Fair Food! I blame this mostly on a combination of my California upbringing and the refusal of Midwesterners to share these secrets with me. I won't call these finds delicious, but I will admit they have left me in awe.

I took the boys to the 2008 Arkansas State Fair today. I bypassed the Tilt-O-Whirl completely and opted instead for the Tour de Hurl. I scoured the fairgrounds for foods not normally found in nature. I was supposed to visit California next month, but after today's samplings I think my state may revoke my citizenship and turn me away at the airport. Wait, never mind. It's California. They can't keep anyone out. What was I thinking?

I tasted fried Oreos today. They taste exactly like you'd expect. I can't say it was entirely unpleasant. It was just...a deep fried Oreo! They take the tasty sandwich cookie and dunk it in a goo the resembles corn dog batter. Then, the coated cookie gets tossed in the fryer, drained and dusted with powdered sugar. The cookie gets soggy, the filling melts and the dough gets crispy. Through it all, grease drips out and the smell of obesity hangs in the air. It's all a bit odd and off puttin' yet, at the same time, it's a bit decadent.

Here is a look at some of the foods I saw yet didn't try. Let's start with deep fried cheesecake. It's not the first time I've seen it. I've just never seen it outside of a Sonic, or north of the Mason Dixon line. There were four people in line and not one of them was taller than 5' 8" or thinner than 280 so I walked on. I figured it was a bit of foreshadowing.

I'd like to introduce you to "Pig Lickers." I have always said everything is better with cheese, bacon or butter. Leave it to the good ol' boys at the Arkansas fair to prove me wrong! I give to you deep fried, chocolate covered bacon on a stick. Covered in sprinkles. Sold in sets of three. Come on now! That's too far! If you want to fry pickles, be my guest. Dunk a Twinkie? I won't stop you. But you can't take two of the pure JOYS in life, combine them and then ruin it completely! I'm not even sure that's legal. I can't, for the life of me, figure out the need for the sprinkles, either. That's just overkill! The bacon should already be crispy, so you don't need the added crunch. And if you're tossing 'em on there just to make things festive, you've missed the point. You can't church up cocoa-covered swine!

Lastly, I present to you the winner of the 2008 "Kati Was Speechless Because of You" award winner. The trophy goes to....the HOT BEEF SUNDAE! Look to the right - there it is, in full color for your enjoyment. I got proof! I don't mean to be crass, but I think "Hot Beef Sundae" should have a "Ron Jeremy Productions" label on it. But alas, it's rated PG.

A "Hot Beef Sundae" is a slab of meat, topped with a scoop of mashed potatoes, covered in gravy and then topped with shredded cheese. It looks just like a hot fudge sundae, but it's really just Sunday dinner in a bowl. It seems harmless once you spell it out, yet I was still repulsed. As soon as you take a main course and slap a desert name on it, I'm out. Willy Wonka tried it once with his three-course meal gum and poor Violet Beauregarde is still in a juicing room somewhere! That is just documented proof that dinner is dinner and desert is desert. They are both great in their own way. There is no need to combine the two. But still, the line for THIS fabulous fair find was at least three times as long as the line for deep fried cheesecake!

I'm going to lace up my Nikes now and get in two miles before the sun sets. While it's true I only tried to Oreo, just writing about everything else has left me feeling bloated and a bit rounded in the rear. I'm going to hit the track just to fend off the deep fried nightmares sure to plague me tonight otherwise!

To be fair though, I am looking forward to the 2009 offerings. I can't wait to see what they'll think of next!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey miss Kati,
I love you to death but I gotta call you out on some of your bullshit. I am very super sure that the Arkansas State fair is not the first food festival you've been to since we go to the LA county fair every year. Now I know that this makes me almost as bad as you but thats why we say almost. Also at said county fair between the "Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog" stand and the "Pork Chop on a Stick" stand there is a "Deep Fried" stand. At this "Deep Fried" stand they sell deep fried Oreos, ice cream, Snickers bars and last but not least Cheesecake. Now my history might be a little shaky but I'm pretty sure that when the Mason-Dixon line was finalized in 1767 it only extended to Kansas and California still belonged to Mexico. SO.... seeing as Los Angeles is in Southern California it still isn't included in the term "South of the Mason Dixon Line". I do wish I could have gone with you though. Food Fairs are my favorite because I have the metabolism of a 12 year old boy and Deep Fried Ice Cream is amazing. Especially after the Tilt O Whirl.

Leah Oberjuerge said...

OK. Hot Beef Sundae? I'll try it. You betcha :) .... Trade you for some of my mystery animal parts on a stick that I have at the corner shop ...

Kati said...

Yes Sarah, my perfect smart ass baby girl, you're right - I HAVE attended the LA County Fair. But not in literally a decade. And I have never, EVER, eaten a DEEP FRIED OREO there. No ma'am. Not me. Just because YOU grazed your way through the festivities doesn't mean I did. But I'm willing to try a Hot Beef Sundae if you will. Hehe. I love you baby

Anonymous said...

You still can't beat a turkey leg from a fair. You can keep the other stuff you just mentioned. Much love!

Unknown said...

You've made me very hungry! Since I'm in Italy...I guess I'll have some HORSE meat. No sticks with the Italians...straight up horse meat. Sometimes shreaded.

I do love a good state fair.

jennparmelee said...

Kati, once again you having me LMAO.